12.31.2008

we do but turn another page...

I shan't wax poetic on this last day of the rolling year...
I don't see much common good shining in the year to come, and I learned far too much in the year that has passed about some of the other people that inhabit this place, America, than I wanted to. I won't call them fellow Americans, because they are not, they have no idea what this place is all about, what the idea stands for, what the ideals are worth. I despise them for their ignorance, their selfishness and greed. Mostly for their ignorance, that is unforgivable, always. They have traded substance for vapor, light for brightness...
"Men are idolaters and want something to look at and kiss and hug, or throw themselves down before; they always did, they always will; and if you don't make it out of wood, you must make it out of words." ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, The Poet at the Breakfast Table, 1872.
And we all shall bear the cost of their doings...

And to my fellow Americans, I can only say that I know and believe that this shadow will pass. What will go on in it's darkness, I'm afraid to imagine, save to say it will be cold and hard, though, in it's darkness also shall be enlightenment for those who do not shield themselves from that darkness by closing tight their eyes. The day may come that we will ourselves defend that rude bridge against the enemy from outside as well as that from within. It may not be with arms, but with the volley of our voices. It may not be with force, but with power. But, be it with the force of arms or the power of our voices, it must be all for all, there can be no hesitation, no second guessing, no faltering. We must be one against the many in all things. That is how we, America, will survive. Stand up. Stand up straight and tall. Say "NO". A more powerful word has yet to be wrought. It's force is astounding, it's resonance is compelling, it's sustain is unending. Use it frequently and loudly. Liberty and Freedom are not only gained and kept by the use of "yes", but more the use of "NO"...

I have much to do today to prepare for a gathering of close friends and family. Take care of yourselves. I do wish you the best for the coming year, my friends.
Fare thee well.



wander with me...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home