1.15.2003

Eine kleine nachtmusik...
by the time I got home last night, I had a headache of proportions that could only be described as Homeric... no, not Simpson, you dork, that Greek author chappy... I had to drive home with my left eye closed because oncoming headlights had an Inquisitional effect on my brain... my head really, really hurt.
I took four generic brand non-aspirin pain relievers, fed the cat and dog (who had already been fed by my then absent wife, you think the greedy little buggers would have 'fessed up...) and dropped onto the bed. That was around 7 PM. I slept until almost 2:30, when I was drilled awake by the sound of something large, heavy and glass and/or metal hitting the floor somewhere in the house. It even scared the crap out of the cat, who was sleeping on top of my legs. I crept downstairs expecting find something broken and after a thorough search, found nothing. Looked around outside, nothing there, either.
So, back to sleep until alarm time at 4:30. Got up, padded into the bathroom, then downstairs to the kitchen to make some coffee and feed the beasts when I saw it...
one of our very thick, heavy cut crystal drink glasses laying on the floor, under the edge of one of the cabinets. It apparently was in one of those little slots on the outside of the drainboard by the sink, where you stick glasses and such when it can't hold anymore on the inside, and the weight probably made it slide off the little tab, roll off the counter and hit the floor. Now, mind you, after it hit the floor, it rolled about four feet to end up where I found it...
not even so much as a chip out of the rim. This is one of the last two left of a set of eight that we bought years ago. They have, over time, succumbed to heavy handling, dishwasher load mis-management, one even broke when I dropped an ice cube in it. This one, however, showed, well, Homeric strength and resilience, much like my headache. It shall live to serve again. I think I shall celebrate it's stoic self and the death of my headache tonight by having a Stoley on the rocks in it. I will be gentle, however, with the ice cubes...
see you later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home