3.06.2003

well, what a fun day...
had the opportunity to sleep late, woke up at 4:30, anyway.
it was raining.
drove to the surgeon's office and endured an hour and a half of being poked, kneaded, squeezed and otherwise abused.
I am told that I have about a 2" rip in my right richtal muscle, through which my innards are trying to escape, which is what
has been causing the constant pain and nausea.
Left the doctor's office with paperwork in hand to get pre-surgical tests done.
it was no longer raining, pellets of ice were falling from the sky...
cleaned off the car and started to drive to work. the road was a sheet of ice, which is probably why a car in the opposing lane was spinning around in circles, heading right for the truck in front of me. he took the cowards way out, like I did and headed for the shoulder without breaking... he ended up half in the woods, I ended up in some guy's front yard... meanwhile the spinning car backed into the trees about a quarter mile behind us, while the car that was behind him, a woman in a jeep, spun around and ended up planting the front end of her vehicle into a very large tree, resulting in a caved in front end, air bag deployment and lots of broken glass. The guy from the truck and I ran over to see if she was ok, which she was, just shaken up. He called the police on his cell phone while I waved traffic by, someone else was tending to the other guy.
The cops showed up in about ten minutes. By now I was coated with ice. Gave the cops the 411 on the accident, spun the car out the poor guy's front yard and turned around and drove home. I didn't think it was prudent to forge on in those conditions. It took me a half hour to go about six miles to my house.
Anyway, I will be heading to the hospital early on the morning of St. Patrick's Day... there goes the boiled cabbage and Guiness...
to get slit open, have my vicera pushed back in place, the rip stitched up and a piece of nylon mesh attached, just to make sure it stays put...
if all goes well, I can go home that night. If not, I will need to stay overnight and go home the next day.
Looks like I'll be laid up about a week, which is all I will be able to stand this time of year. I wish it was summer, I could work on my tan... at least I will have another good old fashioned scar, complete with stitch marks to show off. I'll have to make up some sort of sword fighting story to go with it...
Maybe I can put the down time to good use and upgrade this sorry excuse for a blog to something that's at least visually interesting...
so... that's about it for tonight. real exciting, huh?
look for some new photo pages soon... now there's another reason to live...

check back often for anxiety updates as surgery gets closer...

and, be sure to read the details of my upcoming colonoscopy... I promise it will be a probing, penetrating, in-depth report... uhh, never mind, forget it... you'll have to use your imagination for that one, sorry...

be well, be careful, spread some peace around...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home