8.27.2003

rediscovery...

is sometimes exciting...
on a whim the other day I grabbed my cassette copy of Fragile by Yes to listen to in the car. On the way home that night, I popped it in and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Maybe it was just the right time, the right place, or maybe it was that I hadn't listened to it for several years, but it blew my mind all over again. I think it was partly that it brought back some great memories, but I think the biggest part of it is that my appreciation for things musical has matured over the years and I'm hearing things that maybe I didn't really hear as clearly when I was younger. (the album came out in 1972 and was the fourth album that Yes put out in as many years. I was a fan of their music since their first self titled album "Yes" came out as an import in the states in 1969). Fragile really is the pinnacle of their efforts, in my opinion. It was the first album that included Rick Wakeman on keyboards. It was also the first Yes album that could be classified as true progressive rock, without the burden of the sterility that was so common to prog rock music of the era. Steve Howe on guitar was discovering how to coax sounds from his axe that rivaled, yet complimented Wakeman's incredible dexterity on the keyboards, especially when he was noodling around on the Hammond and his bank of Mini-Moogs. Chris Squire's solid and innovative bass work was the precursor of what was to come, a la Tony Levin, and Jon Anderson's vocals pulled us in to the swirling mix. And, no, I did not forget Bill Bruford. His amazing percussion work was, in my opinion, what made Fragile the unique thing it is. Bruford is the master of the syncopated back beat, but he was also allowed to rise through the web of sound and perform as an instrumentalist, which was a rare opportunity for a drummer of the day. His trap and cymbal work in the number Heart of the Sunrise is nothing short of amazing. I heartily suggest that some night you get a nice glass of wine, light a few candles, turn out all the other lights and sit and listen to Fragile. (turn the bass down a bit and adjust the midrange so you can really hear Bruford. If you can score a copy on vinyl, believe me, it sounds better than any of the CD versions that are out there). I guarantee you will enjoy it.
Oh, yeah, while you're listening, be sure to dig on the great Roger Dean artwork on the album cover...
peace and rock on...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home