11.21.2003

what am I listening to..?
Jai Uttal and the Pagan Love Orchestra - "Shiva Station"


i'm blotto...

right now. I came home from work with a blinding headache and, having to tackle the task of painting the doors for my kitchen cabinets, I dropped a Tylenol with codine I had left over from my recent root canal work. It certainly took care of the headache. It also made painting oh, so much more fun than usual. I am not big on taking drugs, whether over the counter, prescription or of the street corner variety. I got over the idea that being stoned = fun about thirty five years ago. If I need a buzz, there's always vodka, or really strong coffee or some unfiltered Camel cigarettes. I'm actually having a difficult time typing this, as my arms feel like they are about five feet long and made of rubber. I guess I'll never understand how someone could become addicted to stuff like this, it really doesn't do too much for me. Mind you, I'm not preaching here. If turning on is what, well, turns you on, have fun, just don't hurt yourself or anyone else in the process.
Let's see, what else is new? Well, I've been contact with a fellow in the UK over the past week, we're considering trading bagpipes. I have a set of vintage highland pipes that I really don't play much anymore... they are like a mistress - they require constant attention and maintainence. This fellow has a set of Scottish smallpipes, which can be played inside without deafening anyone and can suffer through bouts of not being played now and then, unlike mine.
Yes, I play the pipes... didn't know that, did you? One other advantage of the smallpipes is that they can be converted to being bellows blown, like the Irish Uillean pipes, so not only can I annoy everyone with my playing, I can also sing along! OH, the humanity...
Thanksgiving is looming ahead. I know that sounds like I dread the fact, but it's quite the opposite. It's actually my second favorite holiday, right behing the Forth of July. I have to tell you, the Mrs. cooks up one hell of a bird, and it's so great to be surrounded by so many people I love, all stuffing themselves and having a great time. Which leads me to something I was thinking about not too long ago - what would it be like if turkeys happened to be in short supply on that mythical first Thanksgiving day? What if the only thing that could be readily had for the feast was, say, squirrel... or rabbit... or fish? Can you imagine what it would be like to put a platter of roasted squirrels on the table? Or a big pile of roasted carp? This got me going onto some other things, like products named after their inventors... What if Henry Ford's last name was Schnitzenheimer? "Have you driven a Schnitzenheimer lately?"
That name wouldn't even fit on the front of a car... How about Alexander Graham Bell... what if his last name was Volemeister? "Volemeister Telephone Company!" What if Thomas Lipton's last name was Zaplinski? How about a nice hot cup of Zaplinski Tea? Maybe it's better not to think of such things... sorry.
Boy, you know, I really don't like the effect of these pills, but they sure free up the mind and the fingers, don't they? Of course, I'll probably read all this blather tomorrow and feel like an idiot! No matter...
Well, folks, I think I'm going to make a pot of coffee and put another coat of paint on the doors before I finally crash out... as always, thanks for stopping by and having a read.
Blessed be, friends.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home