2.20.2004

what am I listening to..?
David Sylvian - "Gone To Earth"


last word on the subject...

or maybe not...
I'll try to keep it brief and simple... I don't know as I've noticed people flocking to the goth side of life... maybe stumbling into it is more appropriate. I think that, speaking from experience, like any interesting, different and daring style, it has it's fair share of experimenters and weekenders. Which is cool. You don't know until you try. Like many other "unique" subcultures (argh... the dreaded "s" word again), it's evolution has been influenced by those who drift in and out, taking advantage of fashion trends, new music, an interesting and somewhat daring lifestyle. Those folks have only helped it grow out. It is sort of the "web" that Erin described. The funny thing about "goth" is that, unlike other subcultures (shit... I said it again...), it hasn't caused it's own destruction by constantly becoming a caricature of itself. That may sound feckless, but think about it. It has nothing to do with reinvention, it is blatant caricature. The more outlandish it becomes, the more mainstream it becomes. There's no stopping it. Most things begin to die when they start to undergo this process, television programs are constantly falling prey to this; a stupid sitcom shows up on TV and, for some unfathomable reason, becomes the hit of the season. Now the producers, writers, actors and the lot are trying to figure out why they have a hit on their hands. They don't know, can't figure it out, so they approach the next season trying to duplicate the effect of the first. They can't just throw the same crap out there and hope it will work, so they take the basic idea and try to improve on it by distorting it, stretching it this way and that until it turns into some gross, mangled, vaguely recognizable mirror of the first season; and then it starts to die...
Much like Baron Von Frankenstein's creature, in which he sought to duplicate the perfection of mankind, only to create some horrid reflection of it, which ultimately brought ruin to all. The goth culture is not like that. It never really evolves, yet it never stagnates; it sort of just rolls around, absorbing and growing, spitting out and ebbing, but it never really changes. I can't tell you why. I can't tell you why I approach my life in this way. It's just what I'm supposed to be. It's sort of asking me why I like jazz. I can't tell you, because I don't know myself. I just do.
Well, that was neither brief nor simple. Sorry.
Now I need a drink to clear out my head. I need to take a break on the subject for a while.
I'll be back later, maybe we can talk about being Wiccan!!!!!!!! No, bad idea... maybe we can chat about puppies...
nice soft puppies... cuddly puppies... and cute little pink nosed kittens...
later.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home