10.05.2004

yet another...

has slipped the bonds of this mortal coil...

Rodney Dangerfield passed away this evening...
I remember watching him on television with my father when I was a kid on the Ed Sullivan show and the Jack Parr show (yeah, I'm that old...), a skinny, frog-eyed guy doing his "I don't get no respect..." schtick, and we always laughed so much we cried. He became one of the funny men that I would take time to see when ever I had the chance.
He was the master of the "everyman" style of comedy... he made us laugh at the stupid, frustrating and often mundane things that plagued us every day. He stayed away from the hi-brow stuff and made us laugh with him and at ourselves. I think that his movie, "Easy Money" is one of the best comedy films of the modern era. He was also dedicated to helping young comedians get exposure and encouragement on his various "Young Comedians" specials on cable TV and in his comedy clubs.
If there's a heaven, they're probably rolling in the aisles right now. See you, Rodney, and don't worry, you've got our respect, and then some.
Knock 'em dead, pal.
pearls before swine...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home