8.04.2005

random silliness...

of a bothered mind...
I've been rummaging through the vinyl racks here at the Manor and pulling out some old stuff I haven't listened to for ages and have come to the conclusion that, other than classical music, most things are better these days on CD. I really don't care about digital wave clipping and the lack of the inherent analog tremolo that tubes produce anymore. CDs just sound better than my worn out extruded polyvinyl platters.
However, my CD do sound better to me being run through my old Pioneer tube receiver than through my Sony digital box. Might be just me, but I don't know...


I do miss listening to the music that I have on vinyl, though. Right now I have on the 1975 Lp by Renaissance, "Scheherazade and other stories", which is really good to listen to at this time of day, with the sun setting and painting everything in warm hues...


I think this is turning into a music post, quite unintentionally, but nonetheless so...
When I was younger, I was very much a fan of music that was bold and instrumental in nature. By bold, I don't mean loud or brash, maybe I mean inventive. Yeah, that's it. Or maybe I mean improvisational or progressive. I don't know what the fuck I mean, but I was always more interested in the mystical combination of instruments and how they can be played with, against or off each other. I've always been in awe of arrangers and producers, who can ply the talents of musicians in just the right way and bring something out of the music that sometimes the musicians didn't even know was there. Of course, the talent playing the instruments is beyond my comprehension, being only a lackluster musician myself, and that amazes me as well - lots of folks are wonderfully accomplished musicians, who have honed their skills with years of practice and dedication, but they are different from natural born musicians. Anyway, back to what I was originally blathering about; these days my taste and my ear has changed and I find nothing so thrilling and enchanting as the human voice. I that more than half of the music I've purchased in the past few years has been vocal oriented, and probably the better part of that is choral in nature. I'm realizing that the most perfect instrument is the human voice, in all it's styles and modes.


Speaking of which, I just put on my favorite Fairport Convention album, "Liege and Lief", with the haunting voice of the late and great Sandy Denny and the wonderful guitar of a very young Richard Thompson. I think I'll switch on the outside speakers, grab a flagon of ale and enjoy the onset of the night.
Fare thee well, pilgrims.

pearls before swine...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home