6.23.2006

hickory, dickory, dock...

One of the resident Felis catus had some fun last night. I got up this morning to find a very expired Peromyscus maniculatus carefully laid out on the throw rug in front of the kitchen door. Not a mark on it, but most definitely past. Although it might have been Miss Orange or GameCube, it was probably Tiger the Cat, as she was paying particular attention to the space behind the pump organ in the dining hall last night as I was going to bed. She is a usually docile sort, quite happy to spend the day curled up on the divan in the parlor, moving only to stay in the sun, but that belies the fact that she has always been a notorious mouser, absolutely relentless when the hunt is on. She wins most of the time. And, she’s very neat about it, I can’t recall but one time when she shredded her poor prey, I was finding bits and pieces around The Manor all day. She usually just dispatches them, then lays them out just so, in a place that you are sure to see them and admire her work. I’m thinking she might be a reincarnated funeral director, they look so natural you would think they were just having a bit of a lie-down before going back to doing mousey things.
Well, that’s one less to worry about, I guess, but, seeing how it’s summer, I can’t help but think the poor thing was in The Manor® by accident, rather than design. We usually don’t have company of their sort until late in the fall. I hope this isn’t a new trend…
Wander on, friends. Fare thee well.


wander with me...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home