10.28.2006

calm during the storm...

weather-wise, the past twenty four hours have been interesting, with constant heavy winds, almost violent at times, with bouts of light to torrential rains. By five o'clock this evening, the rains finally tapered and the sky broke out in fits of sunshine and alternating black clouds, but the wind has not yet subsided... my trees are pretty much stripped bare, but the shrubs seem to be holding out for a leaf drop on their own schedule, or perhaps the wind at ground level is not quite what it is in the treetops. I have days of raking ahead...
This adventurous weather did reveal to me the fact that my roof repair on the bathroom is not sufficient to hold up against this sort of onslaught... I awoke this morning and when I padded into the bathroom, there was a nice little puddle on the bathroom floor, and a soaked spot about the size of a softball in my new sheetrock. So much for my obviously ineffective attempts at roof-sealing... I think it's time to call in the professionals. Problem is that this is not the time of year to be doing roofing and I will probably have a hard time finding someone to come out and have a look. Either that or I live with it until Spring, when I can rip the entire roof off and do what I wanted to do in the first place, which is build up the low end of the roof line to be even with the high point, put up regular rafters and create a gabled roof, which will shed water in the proper way. I shall need to ponder on the for a while. I can assume, although probably mistakenly, that this problem was brought on by the unique weather conditions of the past few days, as regular rainfall, even heavy, did not produce any leaks. It is obviously being driven in somewhere by the winds. That is an impossible leak to find. It's best to regroup and do it right. I have to say, too, that finding that little pool of water, even after all the work I've already completed, didn't have the usual result, as far as my oft time ill tempered manner goes; I took it rather calmly. It was just one of those "oh, well..." times in life. I do think that, once the roof is done and it's to re-sheet rock the bathroom ceiling again, I will call in a pro this time. Taping and spackling is not my forte. I've managed to learn to be very good at many aspects of home building, remodeling, decorating and general carpentry, but that skill has eluded me...
Well, my dear wandering ilk, it is time for me to attend to the onset of the evening... the candles need be lit to take the edge off the gloom that hangs on the walls of the Manor this time of year, when the Sun takes such early leave... and time to mix a martini or two, although I shall have to rough it tonight - I'm all out of olives...
Also time to attend to my current sinus infection. Seems to be a yearly event anymore... Be well, my friends, enjoy the night. Wander in light and fare thee well...

wander with me...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home