10.01.2006

it's Emeril LaGothy..!


Well, it's Sunday, which means more scullery hijinks - tonight's dinner: Harvest Meatloaf!
Well, the meatloaf is ordinary, but the rest celebrates the bounty of the harvest season!
Whip up your favorite meatloaf recipe; I made a massive three pounder, equal amounts of ground veal, ground pork and very lean ground beef. (I intend to be eating it for lunch all week, so that's why I made such a massive loaf!) I did the usual couple of eggs, freshly made bread crumbs, chopped tomatoes, some tomato juice, a dash of Worcestershire, salt, pepper. Mixed it up good, formed a nice size loaf in a large roasting pan, coated it with Dijon mustard and sprinkled on the rest of the bread crumbs for good measure. Poured a bottle of Sam Adams Octoberfest beer into the pan, then stuck it in a preheated 375 oven and set the timer for a half hour.

While it started baking and filling the kitchen with the aroma of meatloafy goodness, I washed and quartered a half dozen smallish red potatoes, put them in a bowl; peeled and quartered four small yellow onions, threw them into the bowl; did the same to four medium size Golden Delicious apples; also added a half bag of baby carrots. I then added about a quarter cup of olive oil, some salt and pepper and a dash of thyme. Tossed it until everything was coated, then stuck it in the fridge.
When the half hour timer went off, I put the veggies and apples in the pan and set the timer for another half hour. Oh, I also added about another quarter bottle of beer, just to make sure everything stayed moist.

When that timer went off, I tossed in a dozen or so stalks of asparagus and two good handfuls of grape tomatoes. Stuck it back into the oven again for another half hour, until the potatoes were soft when pierced with a fork and the meat was 160 degrees by the meat thermometer.
I let the meatloaf sit on a platter for about fifteen minutes, covered with foil, before I carved it. A couple of slices on a warmed plate, covered with the other stuff really hit the spot. Maybe next time I'll throw in some diced yams and butternut squash instead of the potatoes.
Well, friends, I can barely move after enjoying that, let alone wander tonight, so I'm going to waddle outside for a jar of beer and a smoke or two and enjoy this beautiful early Autumn evening. There's a waxing moon just over the western horizon, which is getting competition from some late season moon flowers on the back trellis.
Fare thee well, my friends, be well.

wander with me...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home