4.12.2008

busy, busy, busy...

I started the day early, not that I wanted to, but Tiger The Cat can't seem to grasp the idea of Saturday, even after all these years. She woke me up at six o'clock with the usual head-butting, breathing in my face and trying to lick my eyes. I usually sleep with my eyes open, which is just too tempting for her. Sandpaper tongue on the eyes is a sure fire alarm clock...
Anyway, after I fed her some breakfast and relaxed with a cup of tea and some pumpernickel toast (with butter, peanut butter and honey), I got dressed and hit the road. Stopped at the post office, then did the grocery shopping. Bought a nice Angus bottom round for making a pot roast for dinner on Sunday, can't wait for that. Came home, put the groceries away and spent the rest of the day cleaning up the grounds, pruning trees and made a minor dent in cleaning up the dead fall in the woods out back. Also cleaned out a few flower beds. Mrs. SOG made some great cheeseburgers and a killer salad for dinner. Now I'm going to settle in and watch some go-fast, turn-left. I love Saturday night races. Won't be going to any at the local short track this year, though, as they've decided to fold up shop after forty years or so, which is a shame. Nothing like sitting in the bleachers, sipping on a cold one, watching the local boys duke it out. Love that smell of burning rubber and high octane. Alas, no more...
Tomorrow is supposed to be a nice day again, a little cooler than today, but perfect weather for yard work. Gotta get it done now, I've got a full plate of house stuff to do this spring and summer, including some rather heavy duty stuff like rebuilding the trough gutters on the front of the house and the impending living room remodel. That's not going to be a fun project, I need to replace some floor joists, so that means a lot of destruction and reconstruction before the remodeling and redecorating can start. We're going to be putting electric radiant heating under the new flooring, it will be nice to sit in the living room in the winter and not have your feet freeze. I'm going to re-sheetrock one of the walls and build a new mantle piece that matches the one I did in the dining room. Also built in bookcases and an interesting ceiling treatment; when we did the room the first time, I pulled down the plaster and lathe ceiling and we decided that it would be nice to leave the hand-hewn beams that hold up the upstairs floor. It looks great, but does nothing to hold heat in the room, it goes right upstairs through the upstairs floorboards. I'm going to be putting 2X2 furring strips along the beams, right up against the bottom of the upstairs floorboards and put up strips of sheetrock between the beams to help insulate the room a bit. Should look pretty nice. We haven't decided on a color scheme yet, but we're going for a very traditional look, something like you would see in the library of a manor house; overstuffed leather armchairs and sofa; Mission or Arts and Crafts style tables and lamps, stuff like that. The flooring is going to be a wide plank laminate in a gunstock color finish, which will match the oak flooring in the dining room and foyer. We're also looking at a 40" flat screen LCD TV to mount on the wall so we can get rid of the ponderous cabinet that stands like the Black Gates of Mordor against the front wall. I'm going to have to chainsaw the thing to pieces to get it out, I think.
Well, fellow wanderers, I'm going to go settle down and watch the race. I bid thee good eve.



wander with me...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home