5.06.2008

abracadabra...

A substitute teacher in Florida has been fired, accused of "wizardry"...
I'm married to an educator. I know what it takes to grab the attention of kids these days, if only to get them to focus for one minute, to make a point, to distract them from the nether-world they inhabit, as they sit day dreaming, worrying about whether they are wearing the right kind of clothes, fretting about the social scene, trying to be cool... if performing a bit of sleight of hand gets them to stop wool gathering and actually pay attention to you for a few minutes, you've gained something. What does this say about the education system in Florida? What does this say about society in general? As one who is dedicated to "the old ways", as my grandparents used to call them, I've faced some scorn and been ostracized by some. I wonder if this fellow would have been fired if he'd quoted something from the devil's own book, the Koran, to make a point. I suppose that would have been OK. This stuff makes me sick. It just shows how uneducated society really is. I wonder just what some folks would think of me if they knew I practiced the craft? What next? Thumb screws? The Iron Maiden? Burning at the stake?



wander with me...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home