7.18.2008

Friday Random Ten... SOG's version.

Ellison and family are on the road again, so I'll pick up the slack with my own random ten for this Friday.

1. Lonely Night - Chrissy Zebby Tembo & Ngozi Family / My Ancestors
Mid-seventies Afro-pop, with some heavy Hendrix influence. Somewhat political in subject matter, but a great album, none the less...

2. Atokwe 3 - Drums of Death / Ghana Funeral Field Recording
Seem to be on an African swing here. Not recommended for the casual listener, but if you're into world percussion, look for it.

3. Before the Bullfight - David Sylvian / Gone to Earth
One of my favorite David Sylvian efforts. Low key, even more introspective than usual. Good stuff to listen to alone...

4. Credo IX Chorus, Et Exspecto Resurrectionem - JS Bach, Mass in B Minor
Ah, Johann... words cannot express what his music does to me, so I won't try...

5. Harem Silks From Bombay - Les Baxter / Ports of Pleasure
Ripped from a pristine 1957 vinyl LP, world class lounge music for the armchair traveler... where's my martini?

6. The Unconventional - Japan / In Vogue
David Sylvian's earlier band. I'm getting the feeling that i-tunes is writing the score for some sort of bizarre travelogue...

7. Mother - The Police / Synchronicity
I said it the first time I heard them, far too many years ago, and I still stand by it; some of the most important music to come from that era.

8. Hot Black Silk - Songs: Ohia / Axxess & Ace
It wouldn't be a Friday night without Jason Molina...

9. Weary Blues - Madeleine Peyroux / Careless Love
She will, one day, be held in the same light as Ella and Sarah...

10. Nothing - Depeche Mode / Music For The Masses
Probably their darkest album, in my opinion, despite the clutching pop-synth overtones and heavy reliance on studio mixed strings. Not for the faint of heart...

So, there you have it. What are you listening to?



wander with me...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home