12.16.2008

i is a paintin' fool...

another night of painting. A second coat of finish color on the window sash, and various stages of primer on the window trim. I decided to prime all the trim, then put it up, fill the nail holes, then do the finish painting while it's in place. Except for the edges, I'm going to finish paint them before installation, so I don't have to pray for a steady hand painting them against the walls. It will save a lot of touch up in the end, as handling all the finished painted pieces usually results in lots of fingerprints, hammer divots that need filling and the occasional blood splatter from errant strikes of said hammer ending in ruptured flesh. I do believe the nerves in my left thumb are permanently dead, as the offending blow doesn't result in the level of pain that causes those swirly little bright things to spin around in front of my eyes, just some temporary discomfort. I'm saving on the black fingernail polish, though, as that particular thumbnail is permanently black...
Mrs. SOG and I also decided on installing some interior shutters on the three normal size windows, which will be loosely based upon this pattern...



They are adapted from the shutters in the room at Minas Tirith where Frodo is recovering after his adventure on Mount Doom in the last film of the Lord Of The Rings trilogy, "The Return Of The King". We like the top part, but I'm going to eliminate the two sets of leaves at the bottom for more of an Arts and Crafts / Art Nouveau look, perhaps a typical Stickley style four pane cutout on the bottom of each one to reflect the muntins in the windows. I've also worked up a few designs that employ a set of cut out Ginko leaves, rather than the flower and pistals, which is a definite Craftsman touch. They will be book matched quarter sawn oak, stained to match the mantle and bookcase. A nice little and very unusual touch in a living room, I think.
So work goes on. Right now the dining room is filled with window trim, it's all over the table and on saw horses. I sure hope I get this mess cleaned up before Christmas day. I've got a week, but that doesn't seem like enough time. We have a Christmas party to go to Friday night, so nothing will get done then, I'll be going like gang busters over the weekend, I'm planning on getting all the trim up and, oh, yeah, refinishing the bottom sill of the bay window, it's faded from the constant sun exposure and I want to restain it to match the flooring. Just one more task.
Well, I'm going to down another vodka on the rocks and hit the hay. More updates as things actually get done.
Have a wonderful evening, my fellow wanderers. Fare thee well.



wander with me...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home