3.22.2009

It's Emeril LaGothy..!



My Sunday started with a beer and percocet hangover, so much for Saturday night. I went grocery shopping, came home, put the stuff away, made some coffee and turned on the TV, which automatically tunes to our local CBS channel 2, out of New York. I was confronted by that smegma sniffer, Barney Fwank, extolling the virtues of King Uppity and his sham horror at the AIG bonus situation and blaming the whole financial crisis on W. I hope the next time he takes it up the ass from his boyfriend, he ruptures a roid...
Anyway, I did nothing of any worth today, other than watching college basketball and then NASCAR, then made some dinner... It has no name, I made it up as I went along, it's sort of an Amish version of Bubble and Squeak...

1 Medium head of green cabbage
1 Medium yellow onion
1/4 Pound of bacon
2 Granny Smith apples
4 Large red potatoes
1/2 Cup dry white wine
Caraway seeds
Salt
Pepper
Butter
Bread crumbs

I washed and cubed the potatoes, skin on and set them to boil in a large pot. While they were starting, I cubed the bacon and sauteed it over a low heat. I thinly sliced the onion and added it to the pan just as the bacon started to clear.
I sliced the cabbage into thin sections, as if I were making slaw or sauerkraut, cored and peeled the apples. When the onion just started to brown, I added the wine, cabbage, apple to the pan, with about a teaspoon of the caraway seeds and some salt and freshly ground pepper, put a lid on it and let it steam away over a medium heat.
When the spuds were ready, I drained and coarsly mashed them with some butter, salt and pepper and let them sit, covered until the cabbage mixture was well cooked and the cabbage was just soft.
I poured the cabbage mix into a 2 1/2 quart casserole, spread the mashed potatoes on top, added a few pats of butter and some bread crumbs, then threw it under the broiler for about five minutes until it was bubbly and brown.




Served with pumpernickel bread, slathered with butter and some nut brown ale.
Damned good.



I'm taking Monday off. I need some serious alone thought time. I think I'll build a new lumber rack in the little barn and think about what I want to do with the rest of my life, I mean, actually what I want to do, not what someone seven hundred miles away wants me to do. We shall see...


Touch me...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home