5.30.2009

simple is better...


I spent several hours today with table saw, router and an overactive imagination, working on a prototype for the brackets that will hold up the shelves in the living room that will go around the entire room, just over the height of the windows and doors. I created four different versions, all based upon various Arts and Crafts style brackets I've seen in magazines and on-line, but ended up creating a very plain style bracket that is of dimensions that will do the job, but not overpower any of the other features in the room -



Just your basic right angle bracket. The vertical piece that will mount to the wall is 2.5" wide and 12" tall. The horizontal piece is 2.5" wide and 10" long, set into a 1/4" deep dado in the vertical piece. The stock is 3/4" thick, so, once the shelves are notched around the vertical, it can be a minimum of 10.5" deep, which is perfect for books, CD's and DVD's, and will handily support a 12" deep shelf on the two walls that flank the mantle and the in the wall bookcase, to hold some of our vinyl albums and larger tomes. The back of the shelves will be supported by a 3/4" X 1.5" ledger strip run around the walls of the room, into which the back edge of the shelves will be attached with screws. It will all make sense once it's up and you can see the finished project.

I didn't get past this stage in the bracket making project today, I had to mow the grounds, including the wood lot, which was looking like a jungle. I only mowed back to the treeline and a swath of a path to the brush pile at the back of the property, because, for the first time in many, many years, the lot is loaded with wild blue Gentian.



They were welcome early Summer friends for many years, then disappeared. I thought it was because of my keeping the place mowed, but for some reason this year, they're back. Once they finish blooming and go to seed, I'll tame the rest of the woodlot, but right now it's a sea of pale blue blossoms...

Well, I'm going to go watch some basketball and then hit the rack, I'm beat. Lots of cutting and sanding to do tomorrow, I've two dozen brackets to make, so it's assembly line time.

Have a wonderful evening, my fellow wanderers...



Touch me...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home