10.04.2009

Harvest Moon tonight...



and a beautiful one it is. I was just outside in the back wood lot, having a stout and a smoke, basking in it's wonderful light. Soon, it will be time for raking leaves in earnest, hanging the storm windows, bringing the potted plants in and decorating the house the the Autumn holidays. I really love this time of year. Soon it will be time to make soups and stews and bake. It's dark when I wake up for work and it's starting to get dark by the time I get home. It's time to start slowing things down a bit. Only two more major projects to complete before Thanksgiving; the new living room mantle and the built in book case that will be set in the wall above it. Then all I have to do is put a coat of paint on the kitchen cabinets and wax the dining room floor, then I think I'm going to kick it back for the rest of the year. I've been busting ass all Spring and Summer, I need some down time. I have a pile of books I want to read and work on my plans for our new patio and gardens that I want to put in next year. I'm thinking about putting a grove of eight or ten birch trees in the back yard proper, with rhododendrons and mountain laurel to fill in the spaces between them, with some ferns and hostas and some sort of ground cover, and a nice stone pathway with a sheltered place to sit. Also planning on using the Eastern side yard for an intensive vegetable garden, which means a few trees need to be removed and others limbed so it gets enough light. Got to think about painting this grim old pile, too, it's been about ten years since I did it last and it looks like it. But, that's next year.
I'm going to go have another smoke in the moonlight, then hit the bed, it's been a long, busy weekend.
Be well, my fellow wanderers. Fare thee well.



go ahead, make your day...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home