10.20.2009

oh, no...



This is not right...
I'm beside myself. I've learned so much from this guy. His approach to woodworking is special and stands out far and above any of the others that have been on TV over the years. Many woodworkers don't like his approach of using power equipment for just about every task, but by doing so, he made woodworking accessible to anyone. Not everyone can work a piece of wood with a block plane, or cut dovetails by hand and, although they are skills that I've accomplished and enjoy, the time and effort are not always well spent on a project. I learned woodworking out of necessity and it turned into a hobby and a passion, mostly from watching Norm. His easy going attitude and casual approach to his craft is special. Some of his projects would intimidate me if I tried to replicate them, but his basic techniques and variety of subjects always presented great solutions to a sometime difficult to attain end. I can't tell you how many times I've been standing over a project, stumped by not being able to rip a piece of wood at an angle that my table saw won't support, or a piece of joinery that escapes my experience or challenges my ability and Mrs. SOG would say, "well, what would Norm do?"... Indeed, what would Norm do?
I've seen every one of his shows a dozen times, and every time I watch one, I pick up on something new or something that always helps me, no matter how many times I've seen it.
Thanks, Norm.








go ahead, make your day...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home